How to Obtain a Nigeria Temporary Work Permit (TWP) 2022
As a rule, a citizen of any foreign country who desires to work or reside in Nigeria must procure a visa for either a short stay or permanent residence. It ultimately means you must comply with the immigration requirements of Nigeria.
We are providing a step-by-step guide that will help you obtain a Nigeria Temporary Work Permit.
What is a Temporary Work Permit (TWP)?
A TWP is basically a single-entry visa required by expatriates who are invited to Nigeria to engage in short-term specialized skill assignments. These skill assignments range from installations, account auditing, equipment maintenance and repairs, feasibility or research work, and any other competent assignments as defined by the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).
It is the duty of the hiring organization to apply to the Comptroller General of Immigration (CGI) for the issuance of an approval letter to ensure a smooth visa issue process.
According to the Nigeria Visa Policy (NVP2020), the TWP allows a maximum stay of 90 days – 180 days and falls under the visa categories below :
- Short Visit Visa (SVVs): It is a single-entry visa that only allows a maximum of 90 days stay only.
- Temporary Residence Visa (TRVs): This category is a non- renewable visa that allows a maximum stay of 180 days.
These visa categories are specifically obtainable through the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).
Am I eligible for the Temporary Work Permit (TWP)?
Yes, anyone who has some skill set and is ready to take on a job assignment in Nigeria is eligible. The process of obtaining a TWP requires your hiring organization to first make a formal R11 application to the Comptroller General of Immigration (CGI).
The application document must affirm the special skills possessed by the prospective employee and the assignments he/she will be required to undertake in Nigeria. The person being hired must also be willing to take on any immigration responsibilities.
What are the procedures to apply for a Temporary Work Permit (TWP)?
When planning to apply for the Nigeria TWP, ensure that you understand the various visa categories and which of them is most suitable for your intended purpose. If you have confirmed the visa category, follow the steps below for a successful application;
- Hiring organization applies to CGI for approval letter
The application must indicate the following;
- Name of contractor/employee
- Contractor/Employee Nationality
- Contractor/Employee Passport Number
- Contractor/Employee Purpose and Duration of Visit
- Copy of Contractor/employee passport bio-data page
- Hiring Organization Company Profile
- Certificate of Incorporation
- CAC 2.1 & 2.7
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Acceptance of Immigration Responsibility
- Country where visa is to be issued
- Any other necessary supporting document
The visa approval letter usually takes 2-3 days and must be used within 3 months from the date it is issued.
- Ensure you have a copy of the visa approval letter and prepare the supporting requirements below;
- A passport with a minimum of 6 months validity with more than two leaves.
- A letter from the hiring organization in Nigeria addressed to the Nigeria Consulate in the country you are applying from
- Certificate of Incorporation of the hiring company in Nigeria
- A copy of passport bio data page
- An evidence of flight itinerary
- Evidence of Hotel/ accommodation (Optional)
- Three (3) months stamped bank statement of the hiring organization
- Letter of employment acceptance
- Employment offer
- Apply online via the NIS portal by filling the visa application form and print it out
- Pay online via the NIS portal and print receipt for evidence.
- Attach 2 passport photographs on the printed completed application form
- Scan and submit completed application form with the required supporting documents
- Attend a visa interview that might be likely scheduled depending on the visa type and if it is a first-time visa application or not.
What is the cost of Nigeria Temporary Visa Permit?
The charges for applying for a TWP are fixed by the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) and it is dependent on your nationality and visa type.
For guidelines on the exact cost of your TWP visa application, visit the NIS portal to know the various fees;
How long does it take to procure a Nigeria TWP?
The Nigeria Immigration Service normally takes about 2-15 working days to process all submitted TWP applications.
In conclusion, obtaining a Nigeria TWP largely depends on how swift the hiring organization is able to organize the required documents and apply to the Nigeria Immigration Service.
It is also paramount to bear in mind that the visa is not for permanent employment, and you are mandated to enter Nigeria within 90 days from the date the visa is issued.
If you are still unsure of how to go through the process, you can send a message and we will do well to help accordingly.